Monday, January 14, 2008

Tis The Season


With the catalog season now in full swing most gardeners rely on their fine tuned shopping skills to attain that ever so sought after plant. Frankly gardeners shopping for plant material are in my opinion a far more dedicated bunch than the typical mall maven. I myself begin the shopping season by doing a variety of searches (American Nurseryman) for new plant introductions, I then spend a great amount of time canvassing some of my favorite tried and true nurseries, Avant Gardens, Plant Delights, Forest Farm, and LazyS. Having finally found a justifiable reason for signing up for that excel 101 class I start classifying plants and desires, this will go on for months until one cold wet spring day when the only thing that is going to keep me from being committed is pushing that *Proceed To Checkout* button. I must admit by this time my list is shamefully long but I just don’t have what it takes to narrow it down. I follow up this experience with actually cooking a warm meal for Joe and mentioning in passing that I ordered a few plants today! After twenty nine years of marriage the poor man still doesn’t know how to decode that passing comment to what it really means…Oh My I Can’t Believe How Many Plants I Just Bought. Yes I suppose on occasion I have experienced buyers remorse in mid May when a box of twenty some odd long forgotten plants arrive, but truthfully that remorse passes in the blink of an eye and suddenly I find my self gleefully tucking my precious purchases into the middle of what was a well designed garden. So what catalogs are you perusing?

No comments: