Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Save A Tree And A Trip To The Recycling Center



On a morning talk show I watched a piece about a group of fourth graders taught by Ted Wells from the Park School in Brookline, Mass who had cancelled 4175 unwanted catalogs in one month. They were able to contact and cancel such a large number of catalogs with help of a great non profit Catalog Choice Lets face it most of us have limited time to devote to non-urgent chores but this was simplistic and fast, after logging on I was able to select which catalogs I wanted to cancel, and cancelled six catalogs in a period of five minutes. You will want to have the catalog in front of you as it expedites the whole process if you have your customer number from the back label. I can’t tell you how many times I have resented the burden of receiving catalogs I didn’t request and some of the worst offenders seem to send them weekly. I am not much of a shopper but I know that I send three to four shopping bags filled with catalogs to the recycling center every other month and that is not including what I immediately throw in the recycling bin at the Post Office. Many thanks to Ted Wells and his fourth graders.

2 comments:

kate said...

Thankfully I don't seem to receive many catalogues. Garden catalogues seem to only be sent if one orders from them - at least here in Canada.

It is the inserts to the local newspapers that really bug me.

I am impressed with the efforts of the fourth graders. Good for them to take this on!

dhoop kinara said...

this sure is a good idea and can make a lot of difference