Thursday, February 21, 2008

Snow Envy


Living on an island off the coast of New England that is wrapped in the warm blanket of the Atlantic Gulf Stream insures that I am one of a very few New Englanders that doesn’t own a snow shovel. Yes I realize those of you reading this in snow belt territory are assuming I am bragging but stop for a moment to consider what life might be like without that clean white pallet that much like a grass lawn allows the eye to comfortably set on your evergreens, conifers, grasses, and my favorite winter interest… bark. Without snow the bright reflective qualities of any garden are limited to the sun capturing light in the shinny leaves of evergreens. As beautiful as the “twinkle lights” of evergreen leaves can be they are often lost to me in the clutter of winter without snow. Think what a pallet of brown dirt accented with late decaying plants, leaves, twigs, plant markers, and of course yard art takes on an entirely different meaning. I would also like to point out that although you folks living in areas with large deer populations experience considerable damage I would ask you to ponder how severe the damage would be without a blanket of snow to protect the lower trunk. By far year round the most damaging effects to my garden are caused by “winter burn” I spend a small fortune on anti desiccants twice through out the winter and this of course has limited success. So come on you gardeners in snow territory admit how fortunate you really are.

3 comments:

Wings4 said...

Katy, I don't know how you do it. Even your "brown" photo is so pretty! Yes, my garden spot is covered in white right now, but looking at your "brown" makes me itch for the snow to melt so that I can get my fingers into some "brown".

kt said...

Wings,
I think you must be looking at my garden through rose colored glasses...but I graciously thank you. I am curious what is on your top ten wish list and if I may be so bold who are your top nurseries? I want to redesign my front entry garden but flip flop between garden design and rare plant collection. I think the gardening book I am yearning for is one that is written by both a designer and a collector. Katy

Wings4 said...

My top ten wish list? Oh Katy, that is a hard question. I am getting older, and I have settled into the most satisfying contentment... how fortunate I am.

Last year, my wish was to fence in my garden area with a decently attractive fence, to keep out the deer. (Done!) I also wished to plant climbing roses along the fence, so that I would have color and aroma and rose hips every year. (Done.. 6 different old fashioned single pedal roses!) The year before last, I wished to plant a couple of fruit trees, and a couple of berry bushes in the yard. (Done.. apple, cherry, and 2 blueberry!) This year I am going to add a new raised bed for tomatoes inside the fence, 2 more blueberries, and a patch of Echinacea Purpurea.

My wish? Just for health and strength, so that I can keep on doing the things I love to do, a little at a time.

I like St. Lawrence Nurseries, because they specialize in northern climate plants. They sell mostly fruit and nut trees, but have some Shrubs and Hedges also.

For vegetable and flower seed, I usually use Johnny's, because they offer so many varieties that are organically grown. My Echinacea Purpurea seed is a gift from a friend.