Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Lawn Without Grass

I doubt if there is any one interested in the landscape who hasn’t considered removing their lawn to put an end to the time consuming tasks of mowing, watering, weeding, and feeding. Coupled with the effects of lawn maintenance frequently being raised in discussions regarding climatic change and the landscape, I can’t help but believe there must be better regional choices than planting grass seeds often where they need to be coddled to grow. I thought I would photos of different examples of lawn-less landscapes that I come across with the hope of discovering an alternative for myself and perhaps inspiring others as well.

Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Garden - Grand Cayman- Display of grass-less lawn.

The white sand allows offers a restful pallet for the eye to examine the landscape.

Grand Cayman neighborhood where many residents plant native and non-native species in their white sand lawn.
The white sand lawn brightly accents the other colors in the garden, of course with the exception of white flowering plants.
Although over 50% of this neighborhood was grass-less some felt the need for a lawn regardless of how much watering would be necessary.

Even the public graveyards on Grand Cayman are grass free.

e of where my lawn meets the woodland but after one short year realize this is a high maintenance replacement for lawn that is often devastated by birds and small animals searching for the grubs that live happily just under the moss. But I will say the velvety green carpet of moss paints a beautiful background that easily allows the eye to rest and peruse the surrounding gardens.

Lichens that grow on soil would make a great grass free lawn.

When dry the stiff lichen would not be as soft or durable as grass but what a great color

1 comment:

red studio said...

I wish I had sand for a lawn. What a great blog! Love the moss.